Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Back to the Back Roads

It's been about a week since the last big snow, and schools are still closed, but I decided to drive on the back roads to work (I took the highway yesterday). I actually thought it was a good day to take the back roads because everyone is a bit more cautious. For most of the trip, I didn't even have anyone behind me, let alone tailgating me. What I found interesting was the condition of the roads.

Remember a few weeks back I posted about the design of roads (http://icandrive55.blogspot.com/2010/02/design-of-everyday-roads.html) and how part of the problem is that some of the slower roads appear to be made for faster driving? Well, today, I was surprised that once I got out of my immediate residential neighborhood, the worst road conditions were on the fastest road (the 40 m.p.h. stretch). Most of it was fine, but there were some spots that still had ice in the middle of the road. If I didn't know the speed limits, I would have pegged that road as a 30 m.p.h. road today.

No comments:

Post a Comment