Thursday, April 22, 2010

Foggy Day Ramblings

Today I don't want to talk about the guy in the black Lexus who tailgated me most of the way to work (and then when he passed me got stack in the other lane as I drove by). Instead, I want to talk about other driving annoyances. It is very foggy this morning, and I am surprised at how many cars are driving without their lights on. As I watched cars coming in the other direction, I noticed how big a difference it made; I could see the cars with lights coming long before I could see the ones without lights. Given that there are virtually no negative consequences to driving with the lights on, I can't understand why people just don't do it. By the way, in case you think the fog's not dangerous, it was pretty obvious that it is from listening to the morning traffic report: far more accidents than usual.

That got me thinking about what to do when traffic lights aren't working...and this is more related to tailgating. Everyone should know that if you come to a traffic light that is not working, you are supposed to treat it like a four-way stop. But no one ever does. This reminds me of driving the speed limit because if you do stop at a broken traffic light, you get the same dirty looks and gestures that I get when driving the speed limit. And given that no one else is doing it, it is not clear whether it is safer to follow the rules or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment